GP Training in Wales consistently receives excellent feedback in annual GMC trainee surveys in terms of overall satisfaction with training and quality of clinical and educational supervision.
As part of the recently launched Welsh Government recruitment campaign 'This is Wales - TrainWorkLive' doctors training in Wales will get to choose from dozens of flexible, high quality specialty training programmes and receive high quality ongoing support.
Doctors who begin GP training in Wales in 2017:
- will have their first AKT and CSA examination fees paid for by Welsh Government.
- will be eligible for a £20,000 incentive if they choose to train in the following schemes: Aberystwyth, Bangor, Dyffryn Clwyd, Pembrokeshire and Wrexham. (GP trainees who commit to undertake their ST3 year in a training practice in Powys will also be eligible for this incentive).
Further information about these incentives can be found here on the TrainWorkLive website.
There are 12 district GP training schemes in Wales; all offering high quality training in a variety of setttings. Our Trainers are recognised UK wide for their skill and enthusiasm. Programme Directors aligned to each scheme ensure the delivery of innovative, well resourced and comprehensive, peer group learning sessions.
The following are other notable features of GP training in Wales:
- Applicants to GP training in Wales, as elsewhere in the UK, can prioritise which district schemes they wish to be considered for, within Wales and the other devolved nations
- GP Trainees in Wales are allocated Educational Supervisors who are GP Trainers for the whole of their training programme
- GP Trainees in Wales have a single lead employer throughout their training
Find out more about GP Training Schemes in Wales.
For general information about GP Training in Wales please see the links below:
The GP Specialty Academic Trainee Scheme
Academic Training Opportunities for GP trainees in the Wales Deanery
Each Spring current GP ST2s in Wales, have the opportunity to apply for the GP Specialty Academic Trainee Scheme (GPSAT). For further information about this please email firstname.lastname@example.org